Many people come to Colorado because of its wonderful views, exciting attractions, and beautiful weather. There’s no shortage of outdoor activities for people of all ages to enjoy when they visit.
One recommended excursion is kayaking! It’s a low-impact activity that doesn’t require one to have prior skills. It’s also a great way to exercise while taking in picturesque views.
Benefits of Kayaking
Kayaking strengthens your muscles and is considered an effective cardio workout. Unlike running, you’re less prone to developing joint issues. Aside from that, kayaking can be a serene activity that can put you in a meditative and relaxed headspace. You can also enjoy kayak fishing!
Breckenridge Kayak Park
Breckenridge is teeming with a wide range of summer activities, kayaking being a major attraction for visitors.
Kayak Park is located in Blue River and is a man-made park. It spans over 1,800 feet, giving kayak paddlers plenty of space for this fun activity. It offers 15 water features letting both beginners and pros have enjoyable experiences. When the water levels are high, however, Kayak Park is more suitable for advanced paddlers. They can practice their skills in challenging natural conditions.
Kayak Park is open to the public for free as long as conditions are safely met. The best time to kayak is from May to August. If you don’t have your own gear, several kayak equipment rentals are available locally.
Kayaking Around Lake Dillon
Located in Summit County, Lake Dillon is just a 30-minute drive from Breckenridge. This is a great area for kayakers of any skill level to visit. With plenty of water tours and amenities in the area, it’s the perfect place to spend the day soaking up the sun and enjoying some exciting adventures on the water.
Kayaking Rentals in Breckenridge
To maximize your kayak experience, these are some of the best rentals locations in and around Breckenridge:
Adventure Paddle Tours
Adventure Paddle Tours is an outstanding, award-winning local Kayak company. They focus on providing families with scenic, guided tours in the lake. Riding state-of-the-art kayaks, you can appreciate Lake Dillon’s spectacular views. You can also spot attractive birds and wildlife while kayaking in the vast lake.
Booking with Adventure Paddle Tours means being provided with full equipment and quality kayaks. The tour starts with a 15-minute lesson on paddling and safety.
The guided kayak tours are also rich with educational information, touching on conservation and wildlife appreciation. You can choose among a family tour, sunset tour, or island tour.
You can book a tour by visiting Adventure Paddle Tours online.
Frisco Bay Marina
Frisco Bay Marina offers a variety of boating options and activities. You can rent a kayak to explore the beauty of Lake Dillon. For food, they offer an extensive menu and once you’re back on land, you can also enjoy their free music entertainment, and fun events.
Tips for Kayaking in Breckenridge
There are several things you should consider before engaging in kayaking:
- You might want to pick a tandem kayak. There are several advantages when you choose this option. One being that, it’s more stable because it’s heavier. You’ll also be able to switch between resting and paddling with your partner which can help save energy on long days on the water. Finally, it’s ideal for families and you can move faster with two people on board.
- You might also want to consider getting some practice with the guidance of a professional teacher. You can also join a local kayak club to improve your paddling techniques and brush up on safety skills. This will help you feel more confident and secure on the water, especially if you’re a beginner.
- If you aren’t as confident in your swimming abilities or haven’t been swimming in a lake before, you might want to take swimming lessons. Although you plan to stay in the kayak the whole time, it’s always best to prepare yourself in case you tip over.
- Carefully map your route and make sure to match your skill level with the plan. Being ill-prepared can lead to exhaustion and a less-than-fun time on the water.
While kayaking is fun, there can be situations that can render the activity hazardous. Factors such as strong water currents, waves, and water temperature can affect your enjoyment. Research the area you plan on visiting beforehand especially when it’s you’re first going there.
There are also several active safety precautions that you should be taking regardless of your skill level and comfort on the water.
- Avoid being far from your group and wear reflective tape or stick something fluorescent or shiny on your helmet so that people can spot you.
- Keep a first aid kit with you and ensure that you know to use it to be ready for anything that comes up while kayaking.
- Always don a life jacket and helmet to ensure personal safety regardless of how many times you’ve been on the water.
- Check the weather conditions before heading for a kayaking adventure. You don’t want to be caught in less than ideal weather with a long paddle back to shore.
- Avoid solo paddling. Let someone know about your kayak activity, the location, and time duration.
- Ensure you’re properly dressed for the weather. The waters can be very cold even on very sunny days. Speaking of the sun, make sure that you’re protecting yourself from the heat and its rays. Make sure to consistently apply sunscreen since you’re fully exposed out in the open water area.
- Check that all your equipment is in good condition before heading out.
- Bring some water to keep from being dehydrated.
Breckenridge and surrounding areas have plenty of kayaking options to choose from. This is a great way to experience Colorado, get some fresh air, and exercise.
If you’re looking for a vacation rental contact the team at Bighorn Rentals today!